Monday, June 28, 2010

Low Country

I took a loooong, self-imposed drive through South Carolina back country today on my way to visit some friends down by the coast, and I have to say, back highways are a lost treasure. I even used an actual map! You remember those? The large multifarious things that have squiggly multi-colored lines and terrestrial illustrations all over and yards of paper that take a 101 class in order to properly re-fold? I did, however and as usual, forget my camera so my awesome yet wasted idea to document my journey and all the small podunk gas stations and fruit stands along the way had to be abondoned. Sigh. Driving used to be a journey, and now, we just hop on interstates, put our brains on auto-pilot and tune out the rest of the world. Today, I wanted to see the cows, dang it! I wanted to actually drive under the shade of trees instead of admiring them from a distance and beyond ugly silver guard rails. To boot, my truck even achieved immensely better gas mileage. I think Dixon's trying to tell me that he's from the country and he likes it that way. Okay, I get it! You're sick of miles of mind-numbing interstate boasting sporadic yellow arches and strategically placed tiny green mile markers. Or is it me that's sick of those? Same difference at this point. We're mind melding, my truck and I. He even sings to me when I'm having a bad day. Methinks this is a relationship that has some serious lasting potential. Even if he is a Ford. Low country, here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment