Friday, February 3, 2012

Amtrak train - halfway to New York City

I want to travel. Unequivocally. It's what I absolutely love, it makes my heart sing, there's something in my blood that quickens and pulses with the raw possibility that hangs in the air when I'm going somewhere with a suitcase.

I feel so amazing right now, belly full of toasted bagel and cream cheese, lukewarm coffee with 5 sugars (yeap, I'm far from a purist) sitting in front of my notebook, train speeding passed what can only be called shrapnel scenery all the while bumping and weaving so much that I'm reminded every second why writing in a notebook on a train never comes off very well, romantic notion though it may be.

What amazes me most at this moment is that we're speeding across a lake, so close to the water I could almost skim my fingertips across the rippled surface, and not one person in this cafe car has even looked up. We're in the midst of beauty and sunshine, and save myself and the seven year old Spanish girl, all other eyes are glued to phones, computers or magazines. I am two seconds from yelling "Wake UP, people! Don't you see this? If you want life to reach inside and open you up, fill your chest and expand there, you have got to open your eyes."

I'm not a technology hater. I think it's amazing/scary some of the things we can do now. But it is stealing from us some of the richest aspects of reality and making our world into a monotonous, digitalized, pixelated amalgam of information. People are neglecting the world's texture, foregoing the simple pleasure of flesh and blood presence. All of these things that have been invented over the last ten years are not bad, but perhaps we have a responsibility to find a happy medium of seamless integration instead of seeking to completely replace things that have an art and richness all their own. Let us not sacrifice the beauty of what can be created with our hands on the altar of "life-like" technology. It will never be as good as the real things, the things we can see and smell and taste and touch all at the same time.

1 comment: