Monday, August 16, 2010

What the heck am I doing here?

I have come to Sidamo, my favorite coffee house on the Hill; usually an oasis of calm at which I can tend to be fairly productive. Yet I walk in on this rather ordinary Monday, and it is packed with people. There are four new mothers surrounding the coffee roaster lovingly rubbing their infants' backs like beatific madonnas. Every now and then, one of them emits a grating scream. One of the infants, not one of the mothers. There are people standing around waiting on their lunch orders, and for a minute, one girl's purse is practically in what I'm guessing is my iced vanilla latte. I ordered my usual iced vanilla coffee but was given this already milky, slightly bubbly concoction, that, although delicious, isn't quite what I had in mind. I have yet to dive in to my white paper bag for my croissant (I ordered it for here), and I'm really hoping it has the bacon and cheese that I requested.

After lucking out yesterday, catching every yellow light between Lincoln Park and Union Station and snagging a pretty sweet parking spot just down on 2nd Street, jumping the metro train 2.5 seconds before it closed its doors, making it to Chinatown with T minus 20 minutes before show time to jump across the street to California Tortilla, grab a burrito, make it back across to the theatre to buy my ticket, pick out seats, run back and stand in the concession line to pick up my free small Cherry Coke, and STILL make it back in time for the previews, today has been a bit disappointing already. And it's barely past noon. I woke up in a funk, which is never good, because there isn't much other place for the day to go. As opposed to making me hopeful for the future, watching Eat Pray Love last night left me with a decidedly unsettled feeling in my stomach. Afterwards, my two friends happily reminisced about all of their travels and suggested possibly renting a group villa in Italy, etc. etc. I remained silent. I felt a panic that has carried over into this new day, and I fear I'm about to start once again making decisions out of desperation. I'm going to cheat on DC again and soon. I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment