Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ants Marching

There's something that I'm in the middle of trying to accomplish. Without giving too many details, in this particular endeavor, I feel like David going up against Goliath. This is the biggest challenge I've ever come up against when trying to do something I've set my mind to do. Granted, I've only been at this for a few days, but yesterday ended with me being incredibly frustrated, a state I tried to alleviate by plopping my bum down on a curb and calling the two people who might have cared to listen to me moan and complain. As the phones on the other end were ringing to no avail, I noticed an ant moving a grit across the asphalt. Well, it probably wasn't a grit considering this is Colorado, but it looked like a grit, so in this story, a grit it will remain.

So there's this ant, carrying a grit that's three times his size, and he's just booking it across what to him is probably very mountainous terrain. For a moment, I felt like this ant. All of the sudden, the ant hit a deep indention, and the grit fell in with him still gripping it, thereby causing him to be head first with his numerous legs flailing in the air. I laughed out loud, despite the fact that everything was happening on a microscopic scale. I'm not sure how long it was, but the ant was upside down on his grit for quite a while. I kept cheering for him, telling him he just needed to crawl around a little more and find the asphalt with his feet again. I wondered how long I would flail upside down on a grit before giving up and jumping off. Which the ant did eventually. But then he came back to it, grabbed it with his ant-y pincers, and continued on his way. I could imagine him saying, "You will not win, Grit! You will come with me!" I hope I am similarly able to conquer my own grit. It is no small thing to emulate the diligence of an ant, and I feel we could all learn a little something.

No comments:

Post a Comment