Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jane Austen and the Rockies

I took a walk yesterday through the fields across from the neighborhood where I'm staying. I felt a bit like Elizabeth Bennett. They didn't really do much in those days, aside from read a lot of books, sit prettily around the house, and go for long walks through the English meadows. I've always been a bit jealous of being able to take a walk through all of that space and air, but while Boulder is much more brown than England in summer, the Bennetts never had the cornflower blue sky and the Rockies at which to look, and I was able to get in a similar walk after all. There was still a lot of time left over after walking the fields and breathing in the sunshine, but that's what I have tea for. Of which I have been drinking copious amounts.

Someone told me that it is sunny here 300 days out of the year. I could definitely get used to this. Even when it snows, she said. Sunny and blue skies. I need to get my tail out on those mountains soon. Every time I look at them, they seem to ask me to come play. I don't know if Lizzie Bennett would ever have gone running all over some mountains, but I like to think that if given the chance, she would. She never struck me as being very conventional.

No comments:

Post a Comment