Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 6

Six days. Six days, my friends, of Washington’s worst blizzard. In addition to near white out conditions, we’re all becoming overly familiar with the people we live with. Whether it’s your roommates, or your family, I think all of us are getting a bit too much quality time. We can’t even get pizza in this mess. One call to the pizza place is answered by hysterical laughter and an “Are you crazy?” when asked if they’re delivering. Needless to say, we’re getting equally familiar with all the leftovers in the fridge, and I’m thisclose to discovering how often I can eat reheated pasta without gagging.

I walk outside and feel like I’m on the set of The Day After Tomorrow, the only exception being that unfortunately Jake Gyllenhaal is not going to pop out of the next snowbank. In fact, any other humans that I do pass in this winter wasteland can only be recognized by the fact that they seem to have arm and leg shapes. Nothing much more than that is distinguishable. We all look like reverse versions of the yeti, dark amebic figures floating along the streets. This is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. At several points during the day, I was unsure whether it was still actually snowing or the wind was just blowing everything around in huge annoying gusts that made it nearly impossible to walk without getting it in my face. I lost count of the number of times a snowflake managed to find its way directly into my eyeball. AGH, blink, blink, blink. I think the sense of magic went away the minute the ridiculousness of the literal tons of snow sitting around sank in. They’re calling for more snow on Monday. What the?? When will my world stop resembling Russia? If this is what it’s gonna look like if the polar ice caps melt and all the movies are true, you better start turning off those lights, Peeps, and stop leaving the water running when you’re brushing your teeth. Energy conservation isn’t just for tree huggers anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment