Sunday, February 7, 2010

DC or Siberia?


Even though I’m longing for spring days warm enough to wear flip-flops, another of God’s eighth day creations, I kinda love this wet, fluffy white stuff. It transforms the world outside, hiding all the dirt, putting a halt to the world’s business, forcing people indoors and encasing cars in snowy white tombs along what used to be streets. For once, the earth is quiet. The only noise is the sound of the wind or the soft powdery thud of a falling snow drift. Standing outside, the flakes falling like feathers on my cheeks, I could believe in magic. I half expect a little gnome to come crawling out of his little snow hut, his red pointy hat speckled in white, green velvet shoes leaving pale powdery imprints. Even Dixon is taking part in the magic by making his acting debut as a snow ball, a chilling, yet stirring performance.

I take back what I said about the December blizzard. THIS is the most snow I've ever seen in my life. I even love it when chunks of it are being thrown at me and I'm being shoved into a bank of it by a friend. There's a huge six-year old inside that just wants to run around kicking all the big piles, throwing armfuls of it up into the air, doing cartwheels in the street and making snow angels in blanketed parking lots. Snow does that to you, chasing away concerns even if just for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment