Friday, May 4, 2012

Hill Country Barbecue

I'm not sure it gets any more American than this. We're eating barbecue, two guys are playing some mix of country and bluegrass on stage, and I'm drinking sweet iced tea out of a mason jar. All we need is the red, white and blue waving over our heads and a pick-up truck parked outside and the image would be complete. The more I experience, the more I think I need a little bit of every place in my life. A little Americana, a little European sidewalk café, and now a little bit of Egyptian heat and desert. In comparison to most, I've turned into somewhat of a chameleon when it comes to place. My grandparents sent me a birthday card on which was a phrase that said they hoped that I'd feel at home wherever I am. That ability is becoming as easy as slipping into a great pair of jeans: they may be new and unbroken in, but they fit just right. It's a learned skill within that I highly treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment