Wednesday, April 14, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW: Take One



At the risk of being too simplistic, I LOVED this movie. My friend and I just so happened to be the only ones in the theater, but it was a Wednesday night, and it was some shady establishment located behind some half deserted office buildings in BFE, Maryland (also known as the other side of Silver Spring, the one you've never heard about), so don't let our happenstance solidarity deter you from buying your ticket.

This movie is one of the best cartoons I've seen in a long time. Granted, I have yet to see Up which I've heard great things about, but this one has it all: relatable characters with great cartoon hair, fire-breathing beasty fights, just the right amount of self-effacing sarcasm, the cutest/coolest pet dragon that anyone would take home to Mom and say "can I keep him?" and even a little bit o' romance sprinkled on top. It isn't even the overdone cheesy kind, like when the waiter grates too much on top of your pasta, and praise Jesus, not one character bursts into spontaneous song. I laughed, I held my breath, I fought alongside, I even clapped a little bit and said "yay" at one point. I left the theater feeling like I could take on the world (and I will- tomorrow).

The dialogue was intelligent and witty, the characters engaging and sympathetic, and the soundtrack by one of my new faves, John Powell, stole my heart. This story did exactly what movies should which is took me 100% out of my world and sucked me in for every entertaining second (except when my need to use the facilities halfway through jerked me temporarily back, of course). I recommend taking a good friend, grabbing a Cherry Coke and some Sour Patch Kids and settling in for a night at the movies. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

One of my favorites:
Stoick: When we crack this mountain, all hell is going to break loose.
Gobber: And my undies. Good thing I brought extras.

2 comments:

  1. Well thank you muchos Maya! Tell your friends... And I really am working on actually posting on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete