Friday, April 23, 2010

Vive Mexico!

I am on the precipice of my next adventure. Once again, some place that has never been on my radar all of the sudden is the final destination on the e-tickets sitting in my inbox. What the? I'm sometimes at a loss as to how these things happen. All I know is that my friend/boss Kristin left me with a link to a coffee shop in Mexico before flying off to Italy for ten days, and before she got back, I had had two pointed conversations with the staff at said coffee shop, a round-trip bought and paid for ticket, an ad out on my room for two months, and a full set of audio Spanish lessons downloaded off the internet via nefarious means. She should have known better. Information like that is similar to a live grenade in my hands.

So I'm off to Mazatlán, Mexico to whip up lattes, Limonadas, and brainstorm for a bit as a volunteer while simultaneously working on staring at blue ocean and perfecting the art of applying sunscreen. It's tough work, but somebody's gotta do it. Those surf boards don't rent out themselves.

In all seriousness, while the thought of being next to salty blue for almost two months thrills me beyond words, I want this trip to be different. It's time to be someone else's hands and feet for a while. I'm hoping Mexico can teach me a few things I have yet to learn. Lessons in fighting down this selfishness, and maybe even an extra salsa step or two. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment