Saturday, November 13, 2010

Please Record your Extended Absence Greeting

My apologies to my readers for my somewhat, but not really, lengthy absence. I simply cannot be bothered while in Europe. A huh huh huh (haughty laugh, hair flip).  That and the fact that I'm using a German keyboard which means the 'z' and the 'y' are switched so every several words I have to backspace because I have once again tzped something that makes no sense. However, for the faithful, I will copy a few back entries from my travel journal. Enjoz.

MINUTES THE FIRST
Still the coolest thing ever. Looking out the window of a ginormous aircraft as we ride the air pressure off the ground and the horizon line goes all wonky. It's almost a feeling of weightlessness, like if I took off my seatbelt, I'd go floating through the cabin; yet in the next minute, gravity pulls my lower back heavily into the seat. It's no wonder people need barf bags. I think my stomach just rolled back to the bathrooms.

The golden Lufthansa bird-like stick figure peeks off of everything, and the first language of every announcement is German. Not a problem, as I speak it, but what begins to frustrate me is not that my skills have gotten so rusty, but that they speak so damn softly! "I can't hear you!" I want to scream. I understand just fine, I just need an ear cone to pick up all of your super soft syllables. Why do people who don't speak English insist on whispering? Maybe that's why Americans sound like we're using bullhorns in comparison. Ahhh, that's it! Mystery solved. We're not the loudest people on the planet! Everyone else just speaks in secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment