Saturday, December 11, 2010

Holiday Hijinks

My mom just beat me in Scrabble. What the flip. And not by a few points either, but by like 50. Me, with the extensive vocabulary. She then proceeded to wave her little wooden tile holder in my face like a jerk. I need not mention (although clearly I already am) that she gained her victory by piggy backing on my own brilliant, lengthy words, but the malicious laughter and gloating was entirely unnecessary. I know I've always been a bit of a sore loser, but I was hoping that my age and experience would have remedied that. No such luck. I left the couch feeling vaguely dissatisfied and grumbling to myself while my parents snickered in the background. I did not appreciate the peanut gallery commentary.

In other news, we did family Christmas early for the first time in my entire life. The holidays look a little different this year for reasons not the least of which is my recent propensity to bounce around the planet like a ping pong ball in as short a time frame as I can manage. Other reasons include family circumstances which cannot be helped, but Christmas feels odd. I'm not sure Santa will be able to find me. I guess it's a good thing he doesn't exist. It appears to be a great year to start remembering why we celebrate in the first place. Trust God to shake up the snow globe when things get a bit too comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment