Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Coke Drinking Wedding Crasher

There's a tienda (read: store) on the corner of our street that sells glass bottled Coke. If you bring back the bottle from last time, the new one costs only 5 pesos, roughly about 40 cents. They're refrigerated, made in Mexico, and full of a half litre of lovely, chilled carbonated goodness. I had originally decided to give up soda while in Mexico; then about five days ago, Nick told me about this sweet deal and in a matter of about 2.5 seconds, my resolve was gone. This doesn't say much for my resolve I realize, but I like to think myself easily adaptable to different places.

I also crashed my first wedding, yay! It was held at a hacienda out in the middle of some Mexican desert complete with horses, sheep, and free roaming peacocks. There seems to be a trend here of allowing one's exotic pets to have their run of certain property. I'm not complaining, but when a peacock decides to take flight right over your head, it is NOT a comforting feeling. Their loud, eerie squawks are also a bit disconcerting. Anytime anyone clapped for anything at the reception, they decided to join in and add their two cents from high atop the hacienda's brick chimney. I never knew they were such fans of weddings. In addition to peacock calls being seared into my brain, I also came away with authentic red maracas, a crépe paper flower, and a new hankering for Mexican tortilla soup. Throw a bit of gooey, melty white cheese in that mess, and I could eat it every day for breakfast. YUM.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This is Beth Kline (Steve's wife) Thanks for the blog...I am so looking forward to being down there next year and am eating up everything you say about it down there...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! Glad you're enjoying my ramblings! You guys will have a great time down here. It has its challenges, but is definitely new and different.

    ReplyDelete