Saturday, May 22, 2010

Friday

Parts of this day I've loved, other parts I've hated. One of my new favorite things is driving to the shop early in the morning on the scooter. It isn't a motorcycle, but I like to pretend it is and that I'm not flying down the road looking like I'm seated at a kitchen table. With my black helmet, sunglasses, black jacket (because despite the 90º heat at 10am, the mornings are still cool and damp enough to give me goosebumps at 45 miles an hour), I like to think my dismount looks like something out of a Harley commercial, my hair flowing in the breeze as I whip off my helmet and shake my head back. However, it doesn't quite translate as I trip over the floorboard, knock the mirrors out of whack trying to set it up on its kickstand, and need five minutes just to unhook my chin strap. It makes me thankful that my co-worker Dennys is busy spraying down the sidewalk so I can fumble about without an audience. Ehh... I've still got a few weeks to perfect my dismount.

The other parts of the day in which the Mexicans coming in are speaking Spanish at a decibel level entirely too low for me to even begin to understand and my first attempt at making a yogurt parfait is almost a complete failure are the parts I hated. I won't even start on the cash register system of "oh put that on my tab" for people who have already spoken with the owners. Everything in me screams, "But that's so disorganized!?!" and I have to mentally check myself to keep from twitching like I've got Turret's. "The numbers, the numbers!! How is this all going to add up?" Just. Breathe. Dennys smiles at me and says, "Hoa, you stressed Jenn?" to which I respond with one of my famous looks before returning to frantically scrawling figures on a notepad trying to wrap my brain around what just happened. Navigation is tricky here, but thankfully, I have a coconut raspberry white mocha frappe to ease away the confusion.  Nothing like deliciously blended sugar and espresso to muddle any concern over things that make no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment